Leaving Cert Prep
LEAVING CERT EXAM PREPARATION DAY
For final polish of key areas of the French written exam, this intensive course which is held on the Saturday just prior to the exam, is a focused written and comprehension course concentrating on the key areas to help finalise the student’s study.
- 6- 12 students
- Cost: €60
- Dates: Saturday 8 June 2013 (Saturday before Leaving Cert French Exam)
- Time: 9.30 – 13.30
SUMMER TERM: 4th JUNE – 25th AUGUST 2013
LEAVING CERT IMMERSION COURSES
(suitable for students entering both 5th Year & Leaving Cert in September 2013)
- Develop your speaking & understanding abilities in a purely French/Irish-speaking class environment
- Refresh & improve your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary
- Hand-outs provided
COURSE DURATION: Classes held over 1 week (25 hours) Monday to Friday 10am-12.30pm & 1.30-4pm daily (max 12 students)
COURSE DATES L.CERT FRENCH IMMERSION DATES: Choice of 3 Sessions: 17-21 June, 15-19 July, 19-23 August 2013
COST: €290, special discount of €40 on combined total for a student booking for both French and Irish immersion courses.
INDIVIDUAL TUITION FOR SECONDARY STUDENTS:
Leaving Cert Exam Preparation – New Term
Leaving Cert Course dates for Academic Year 2013-2014: dates TBC
Leaving Cert Course Details: TBC
Yearlong Leaving Cert Programme 2013 – 2014
(available at Honours level and Pass level)
The key to learning any language is sustained, incremental study and practice. During this critical year, where students have to carefully organise their study-time in a variety of different subjects, our 29-week Leaving Cert programme in French is specially devised with this in mind. We provide the student with a comprehensive and detailed approach to exam preparation, complementing and developing on the student’s school work over the course of the year. Our French-native speaking qualified teachers help to give the student the edge in their language proficiency, covering typical problem areas so that s/he is fully prepared &confident facing the exam. At AF de Cork we believe that all students should be able to benefit from a programme which gives them as broad a range of learning support as possible. This is why all students benefit from the following services which are included in their term fee with no hidden extra costs: (450€ and 420€ discount rate for a 43.5 hour programme with extra exam times scheduled).
All students are therefore entitled to the following
- Specially devised handouts (no extra course book required)
- Personalised individual attention& student-friendly environment – our tutors ar alert to the specific needs of individual students
- Homework given and corrected with detailed feedback and advice given
- Handouts and homework sent for missed classes
- Regular Assesments
- Individual Mock Oral Test with detailed feedback and advice given
- Scheduled Mock Written Exam
- Smartboard facilities for more interactive language-learning
- Availability of tutors and staff at any stage on request during the year to meet with parents and students regarding students’ progress and other related queries
- Automatic access to our médiathèque facility with an excellent range of level-appropriate material – magazines, books, CD ROMs, DVDs
The AF formula for Leaving Cert preparation works: we have longstanding experience (over 24 years) teaching French to secondary-school students through specially developed courses which complement and enhance students’ learning at school. With diligence and hard work following the AF method, our students regularly achieve results which surpass their original goals.
- Oral expression:
The Oral examination represents 25% of the Honours Programme for Leaving Cert, although it is often an area where students feel most lacking in practice. The AF approach is to encourage students to develop fluency and independence in their communication, enabling them to express themselves with confidence and spontaneity. Our French-native tutors devise special hand-outs, covering both every-day and complex topics, current affairs, and document preparation, as well as exam-specific tips and techniques. Individual attention is given to students during class-time and a mock-oral examination with detailed feedback and advice is also scheduled for each student. We pay particular attention to developing skills in oral expression, since as a rule, students note a marked improvement in other areas of their language acquisition when practising for this section exam
- Written expression
A further 25% of the examination is allocated towards written expression, where students are expected to demonstrate the ability to express feelings and attitudes, describe and relate incidents, offer explanations, summarise and elaborate arguments and points of view. Our courses comprehensively cover advanced grammar and vocabulary, helping students to tackle and overcome areas of difficulty and inaccuracy in their writing. Specially devised handouts are provided, specific practice within class and homework assignments are given on the compulsory questions, journal entries, messages, commentary pieces, and formal letters provided.
- Aural comprehension
Through a range of different techniques and exercises, the AF programme enables students to students recognise and identify relevant information from a variety of listening documents taken from different sources which range in complexity; including everyday conversations, news reports, radio sources etc.
- Reading comprehension
Students are taught close-reading skills in order to distinguish, relate and, where relevant, reformulate the important and pertinent details (of grammar, content, vocabulary) in range of literary and journalistic/factual extracts.
Regular Assessments and Term Reports are sent to parents/guardians | Specially AF devised course material provided | Individual attention & student-friendly environment | Scheduled mock exams. Course content strictly complies with the criteria of the Leaving Cert curriculum as laid out by the Department of Education and Science, and is overseen by our Leaving Cert Coordinator, who is an experienced official examiner for the Leaving Cert Oral Exam.
All our tutors are available on request to meet students, parents/guardians concerning each student’s progress.
Intensive Leaving Cert tuition packages available. Please contact office for more details.
Optional mock written examination for Leaving Cert will be held over Easter Break (Included in course fee). Dates TBC
See our testimonial page for what our students say about our courses.
Specific Short- Term Exam Preparation Courses
10-WEEK ORAL EXAM PREPARATION COURSE
Our Spring-term 15-hour course expressly devised to prepare students for the oral exam, building up their confidence and fluency in the concrete and abstract topics over a 10-week period prior to the Leaving Cert oral examination. Class sizes are small (6 students) to ensure optimum student-tutor contact, including a one-to-one mock oral and advice session. Students are provided with special course hand-outs.
Course Details: TBC
INTENSIVE PREPARATION WEEKEND FOR LEAVING CERT HONOURS FRENCH ORAL EXAM
- Day 1: 5 hours group tuition covering concrete & abstract topics
- Day 2: Over a 4- hour period, students will have one-to-one practice on each subject area with our tutors followed by a 30-minute individual session including mock exam and advice session.
- 6- 12 students
- Cost: €190
- Dates: Saturday & Sunday before the exam week for Leaving Cert Oral French (At the time of printing exact dates yet to be released by Dept of Education and Skills)
- Day 1: Saturday 10.30am – 4.30pm (lunch-break 1-2pm)
- Day 2: Sunday 9.30am – 1.30pm, individual sessions from 2pm by appointment (times are allotted on a first come first served basis)